Imagine getting back the life you once had. Do you remember how free and confident you felt? If reclaiming that freedom is your aim, then please realize that it is essential for you to read this page and apply it to your life without delay.
We have divided this page into 4 sections to help you reclaim your health and freedom the natural way with a combination of diet, lifestyle and supplements.
- What you need to know about the Herpes virus
- Herbs, Supplements, and Homeopathies that have been studied for their effect on the herpes virus and therefore should be part of your diet
- Foods to Eat in a diet for herpes
- Foods to Avoid in a diet for herpes
Does Diet Help in a Herpes Infection?
We can’t stress enough on the importance of eating a healthy diet that boosts immunity. A healthy immune system is an essential difference between someone who has monthly outbreaks and someone who has none! There is now ample information on food that may boost immune function and therefore help a herpes patient.
1. What you need to know about the Herpes virus
HSV 1 and 2 are the viruses known to cause oral and genital herpes and either can cause both. Herpes Zoster is caused by a different HZV virus.
You should never take a herpes infection lightly because having herpes triples one’s chances of getting HIV and therefore treating Herpes is imperative to avoid hurting or killing a loved one or your own self!
Of course, it is important to add here that if you’ve already been infected, food alone is not going to resolve your symptoms because the virus has already your invaded your defense mechanism and is now resting in your nerve ganglia.
Tests to Confirm Your Herpes Infection
There are two ways of testing for herpes.
- Antibody tests look for IgG and IgM antibodies, which are essentially defense mechanisms your body sets up against anything it has been infected with or vaccinated against. Once infected or vaccinated the antibodies remain for a lifetime. This is what leads doctors and patients to believe that there is no cure for herpes. However most of us have antibodies for chickenpox, measles and a whole host of other infections and no one says that those infections are not cured. Hence a testing method has a large part to play in what people consider to be a cure or not. Herpes also hides behind the nerve ganglia, where no antiviral drugs can reach. Relapses or outbreaks happen when immunity is low and the virus goes from being dormant to active. Hence once again immunity is key!
- There are however newer more advanced PCR DNA tests today that look for the actual virus in your cerebrospinal fluid and sores and these have on many occasions gone from positive to negative. This more accurate new testing method shows the actual viral load, and that along with outbreaks is what really matters in determining the current state of a patient previously infected with herpes. This new testing method has therefore once again reopened the debate on what should be considered a herpes cure.
2. Herbs, Supplements and Homeopathies that have been studied for their effect on the herpes virus and therefore should be part of your diet
The following herbs, supplements and homeopathies have been researched for herpes globally. However, the law of each land is different and only some countries consider these as treatments for herpes. In lands that do not regard these as medicine, these natural supplements and herbs can only be sold for boosting immunity and no medical claims can be made on them unless the FDA of that particular country determines them to be a valid treatment. We have listed these natural remedies in descending order of efficacy seen in peer reviewed research. Then again the only agency that can determine effectiveness is the FDA and that too for their particular country.
- Hypericum mysorense: this herb has been listed in ancient Ayurvedic texts as a remedy for the snake virus whose description sounds a lot like herpes. It came back to light in 2004 when an Indian Scientist from the JSS school of Pharmacology claimed to have found a herpes cure as his study showed that Hypericum mysorense suppressed herpes 100% In Vitro.1 None of the other ayurvedic antiviral herbs he tested came close. Biogetica has since patented the combination Hyperisince, which has been formulated to make Hypericum mysorense enter the cell walls. Hyperisince is also presently approved as a herbal treatment for herpes in India and has many such approvals in process. Published research showed that Hyperisince ended outbreaks in an average of 3 days versus the 9 taken by Acyclovir. Furthermore, over 80% of patients that took Hyperisince for 4 months did not have another outbreak.2
- Nosodes: These are homeopathic bioenergetic imprints made by capturing information of the herpes virus. Homeopaths believe that they empower the immune system to respond specifically to the virus. In a trial conducted in France, HSV Nosodes benefited 82% of genital herpes patients.3
- Prunella vulgaris: Research has indicated that this herb may help address inflammatory conditions, boost immunity against certain infections and improve skin health.4
- Sida cordifolia: Preliminary research has indicated that this herb has immune boosting properties.5
- Olive Leaf Extract: This herb possesses Oleuropein, which according to research possesses the ability to potentially confine infected cells and not let them spread.6
- Lysine : Although well known, Lysine has little clinical evidence to support its effectiveness in herpes presently.
These are just of the herbs that have clinical data supporting their versatile properties. Biogetica doctors have considered and amalgamated the best ingredients in formulating protocols that not only potentially boost immunity but also work towards purifying the skin, blood, and lymph to rejuvenate the skin’s underlying tissue.
Our Rescue kit with Hypericum mysorense and Homeopathic H factor Nosodes has been meticulously formulated with evidence based herbs, nutrients and homeopathic nosodes. Each ingredient is included to play a specified role in the protocol. The herbs are traditionally used to promote healthy functioning of your target organs. The Homeopathic nosodes are used to potentially coax a specific immune response as per homeopathic principles and the nutritional supplements are added to help nourish your bodily systems energizing and optimizing them. Please feel free to discuss the benefits of this immune boost protocol with our Doctors for free at any time by clicking here.
To know more about our immune boost protocols click here.
3. Foods to Eat in a Diet For Herpes
Once you’ve been able to manage your outbreaks with appropriate immune boosters (something that you don’t find in conventional medicines), eating right will make it easier for your body to bolster its immune barricades so that the virus is no longer a threat.
So, make sure you always have a healthy constitution by following the right kind of diet. According to traditional Ayurvedic diet principles, one should eat a cooling, alkalizing diet when inflicted with herpes. According to western traditions, it is generally recommended that people with herpes eat a diet, higher in Lysine and lower in Arginine. A wondrous synchronicity between ancient and modern sciences is realized when one realizes that foods that are high Pitta (heaty) are also high in the Arginine to Lysine ratio. We are thus pleased to present diet advice for herpes outbreaks and cold sores that is advised by both the ancient science of Ayurveda and modern medicine.
Eliminating Arginine completely is also not recommended, as arginine is important to regulate immune function. Now that the lysine herpes link is debunked more and more Doctors are allowing their patients to take Arginine, which is known to be essential to immunity.
Read More about is there a Herpes Cure?
So,What are the Best Foods to Manage Herpes?
To make sure your diet has a positive influence on your body the first step is to balance the doshas (unique physical and mental constitutions based on the five elements) with dietary modifications and herbs. Diet and herbs help detoxify your blood and lymph, expel toxins and balance vitiated vata and pitta, thus rejuvenating the underlying tissues. This reduces the burning, inflammation, and tingling sensations.
The second step involves rejuvenation of your body, as Ayurveda believes that a disease not only affects a particular organ, but the entire system. Hence, after balancing the doshas, the body needs to be rejuvenated using Rasayanas (Herbal Tonics), so that it may develop immunity to fight recurrent attacks of the virus.
Finally, certain diet and lifestyle modifications are very beneficial. An anti-Pitta or Pitta Shamak diet is recommended.
The best foods that you need to incorporate during an outbreak are bitter and astringent foods since they reduce pitta and consequently boost immunity.
The following food items may help alkalize, detoxify and rejuvenate your body.
- Fresh Vegetables: Beans, Beetroot, Bitter gourd, Parval (pointed gourd), Bottle gourd, Tanduliyakam (amaranth), Cabbage, Carrot, Gourd luffa (luffacylindrica), Kushmanda (white gourd melon), Drumsticks (moringa oleifera), Radish, Turnip, Asparagus, Yellow melon (ivy gourd). These are rich in anti oxidants that help with skin healing and improving overall immunity.
- Fruits: Pomegranate, Sweet lime (mosambi), Banana, Grapes/Raisins, Black-berry (jamun), Lime, Custard apple (sitafal), Mulberry (shahatut), Sugarcane, Aconite / Monk’s hood (Amrud), Amalaki (Emblicmyrobalan),Apple, Avocado, Pears, Figs, Dates (Kharjura). These are abundant in vitamins and other critical micronutrients essential for the smooth functioning of your body mechanisms and protecting the body against infections.
- Non-Vegetarian food: Fish, Chicken, Turkey and Eggs are considered beneficial for people with herpes since protein is vital for promoting healing and maintaining healthy organ systems including a robust immune system.
- Spices: Turmeric, Cumin seeds (Jeeraka), Coriander / Coriander seeds (dhanyaka), Saindhava salt, Fennel (Saunf), Cardamom, and Mangosteen oil tree (Garcinia indica/ Vrkshamla).All of these ingredients have versatile properties and many have been clinically tested for their role in improving immunity, protecting against viral proliferation and expelling them from your system.
Lysine Rich Foods
Lysine-rich foods were believed to empower your immune system to combat and prevent viruses that wreak havoc on your health. Clinical studies have highlighted the lysine potentially arrests viral proliferation and weakens the severity and duration of the herpes outbreak. However, new research is showing that lysine may not have any effect at all. Hence there is now a debate but anyways here are some Lysine-rich foods that could help increase your lysine levels:
- Fruits: Add apples, figs and pears in your diet. Summer treats like mangoes and apricots are also beneficial.
- Vegetables: Most vegetables are high in lysine and low in arginine. Research has shown that cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and broccoli are three of the best foods to eat to prevent a herpes outbreak Beans, beetroots and potatoes are some of the other vegetables rich in lysine that you can include in your diet.
- Dairy Produce: Consuming dairy products when you are suffering from herpes may help as Dairy is rich in Lysine. Then again Dairy products are highly controversial to some and we leave this to personal choice. Yoghurt has one of the highest amounts of lysine of all foods. Make sure you eat yogurt that is fresh and doesn’t contain gelatin or corn syrup.
- Meats: Beef, Lamb, Fish and Chicken are all rich in lysine but then again we leave the consumption of these as a matter of personal choice.
Add Stress Busters to Your Diet
- It is a well-known fact that increased stress can trigger off an outbreak and so you should make sure that you include certain foods that are known to de-stress your body.
- Foods rich in B Vitamins are exceptionally favorable such as brown rice, fish, bananas, barley, mushroom and turkey.
- Cruciferous and other antioxidant food items are also recommended to relieve stress. So foods such as berries, lemon, carrots, ginger, whole grains, goji berries, and spirulina may be beneficial.
4. Foods to Avoid in a Diet for Herpes
Any food that makes you lethargic, heavy or slackened is bound to interfere with your immune system and weaken it. So make sure you avoid or limit them during an outbreak.
Moreover, according to ayurvedic principles, sweet, sour, acidic, and salty foods are strictly contraindicated in Herpes because they cause imbalances in the pitta and vata doshas of your body allowing the herpes virus to relapse. So, avoid the following:
- Honey, curd( sour), tamarind, groundnut oil, horse gram (kulattha), mustard oil, ajwain (King’s cumin), ginger, Spear-mint/garden mint, hing (Asafoetida), tejpatra (Himalayan silver fir), tulsi (Sacred Basil/Holy Basil), pineapple, papaya, plums(sour), falsa (Grewia asiatica), ripe bilwa (Aegle marmelos), and peaches.
- Pungent and hot foods should also be moderated because they aggravate the Pitta dosha, which weakens the immunity of your body. So, foods like garlic, onion, peppers (red and black), green chilies, and tomatoes are best limited. Yes we know many told you that Garlic boosts immunity, but it also increases heat. So therefore it is good for viral infection like a cold but bad for a virus like Herpes that thrives on heat.
- Of course alcohol, caffeine, all junk food, too much red meat, processed foods, additives, preservatives, and artificial sweeteners are known to increase the acidic PH of your body and should be limited during an outbreak.
- Limit Arginine rich food such as seeds and nuts, coconuts (coconut oil is an exception since it is arginine free), orange juice, chocolate, wheat products, oats, lentils, protein supplements, gelatin, watermelon, cantaloupe, and cucumber.
Tips at a Glance in Managing Herpes:
- Take Immune enhancing and rejuvenating supplements
- Decrease your stress and anxiety by doing meditation, Pranayama (breathing exercises) and yoga
- 20-30 minutes of regular exercise is advisable
- Sleep for at least 7-8 hours at night
- Sleeping during the day should be avoided
- Maintain a diet high in whole, unprocessed foods
- Avoid preserved, frozen and canned food
- Avoid smoking, tobacco, alcohol and caffeinated beverages
- Avoid over-eating, do not eat when you are not hungry
- Avoid exposure to excess sunlight, wind and fire
- Limit cheese and sour curd
- Avoid combining food considered incompatible: Meat, fish, chicken, pork, prawns, mushrooms, sour fruits, curd, buttermilk, sprouts, and fruits should not be combined or mixed with milk & honey. To know more about incompatible foods consult our Specialists here.
A Final Note…
When you’re in the midst of an outbreak, simply changing your diet is not going to help you get immediate results because your body is already compromised and you need to immediately re-boost your immunity so that it can defend your body. Luckily, there are several herbs and natural ingredients that have been clinically studied to boost your immunity and help you against foreign proliferation.
To know which herbs have fared the best when tested against infectious conditions such as Herpes, click here.
Biogetica doctors have considered and amalgamated the best ingredients in formulating protocols that not only potentially boost immunity but also work towards purifying the skin, blood, and lymph to rejuvenate the skin’s underlying tissue.
Our Rescue kit with Hypericum mysorense and Homeopathic H factor Nosodes has been meticulously formulated with evidence based herbs, nutrients and homeopathic nosodes. Each ingredient is included to play a specified role in the protocol. The herbs are traditionally used to promote healthy functioning of your target organs. The Homeopathic nosodes are used to potentially coax a specific immune response as per homeopathic principles and the nutritional supplements are added to potentially help nourish your bodily systems, energizing and optimizing them. Please feel free to discuss the benefits of this immune boost protocol with our Doctors for free at any time by clicking here.
To know more about our immune boost protocols click here.
We at Biogetica constantly strive to provide comprehensive, holistic and natural solutions to help you in your journey to health and freedom. Our dedicated panel of experienced health practitioners are available 24/7 to answer any health related concern or provide customized recommendations based on your constitution. To get a free consult, visit www.biogetica.com now!
- Vijayan, P; Raghu, C; Ashok, G; Dhanaraj, S A; Suresh, B. Indian Journal of Medical Research; New Delhi Vol. 120, Iss. 1, (Jul 2004): 24-9.
- Vijaykumar Kamat and Ritu Sandhu. Patient reported outcomes and patient satisfaction with Hyperisince® (An Ayurvedic medicine/poly-herbal combination) in Herpes simplex. Int. J. Res. Ayurveda Pharm. 2017;8(3):52-58 http://dx.doi.org/ 10.7897/2277-4343.083143
- M Jenaer, MF Henry, A Garcia, B Marichal – British Homoeopathic Journal, 2000 – Elsevier
- MTH Khan, A Ather, KD Thompson, R Gambari – Antiviral research, 2005 – Elsevier
- Galal, Ahmed & Raman, Vijayasankar & A. Khan, Ikhlas. (2015). Sida cordifolia, a Traditional Herb in Modern Perspective – A Review. Current Traditional Medicine. 1. 5-17. 10.2174/2215083801666141226215639.
- Motamedifar, Mohammad & Nekooian, Ali & Moatari, A. (2007). The Effect of Hydroalcoholic Extract of Olive Leaves against Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1. Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences. 32. 222-226.