Super Benefits of Devil’s Claw Root
Harpagophytum procumbens meaning hook plant may have earned an obnoxious name “Devil’s claw”; however, this spooky looking plant with hooks covering its fruit is in reality a very valuable herb medicinally. Native to South Africa, this plant has been historically used for its anti-inflammatory, pain–relieving and metabolic enhancing properties.
An important point to note is that Devil’s claw has been approved by German Commission E as a nonprescription medicine and the herb has shown tremendous benefit in supporting the healthy functioning of joints, lower back, knee and hip.
Devil’s claw is a perennial herb with a succulent taproot belonging to the Pedaliaceae or Sesame family. It is also known by other names like grapple plant, wood spider, wool spider, harpago, sengaparile and kanako to name a few.
Devil’s Claw Nutritional Properties
The roots and tubers of the Devil’s claw contain active constituents like Iridoid glucosides, flavonoids and phytosterols that are responsible for the therapeutic properties, which this plant has become renowned for .
Devil’s claw Health benefits potentially include:
- Benefiting the body’s bones, arterial strength and flexibility of joints
- Regulating inflammatory conditions of the body
- Detoxifying and flushing toxins from the body
- Regulating and boosting the immune system
- Helping to cleanse the liver, kidneys, digestive organs and blood
- Helping improve functioning of joints, kidneys, liver, prostate and urinary bladder
- Digestion-enhancing properties
- Stimulating the production of bile and improving health of liver
Clinical Evidence has also Substantiated the Possible Therapeutic Effects of Devil’s Claw
Various clinical studies have been conducted to identify the therapeutic proficiency of devil’s claw and modern medicine is beginning to realize why devil’s claw has been so renowned in the past. As with many other natural ingredients, growing research has started considering the possibility of using devil’s claw for conditions affecting the immune system, joints, kidneys, prostate, liver and urinary bladder. The herb has also been studied for ailments such as degenerative disorders of the locomotor system, gastric and duodenal ulcers, dyspepsia, peptic ulcers, heartburn, arthrosis, tendonitis, indigestion, blood diseases, headache, allergies, lumbago, neuralgia, and fever. Some of the studies have been listed below; however, this does not imply treatment, only your Government or the FDA can decide if this is the right treatment or not. You are however free to use this herb for improving your skeletal, digestive, circulatory, metabolic, renal and defense systems.
Snippets of Some of the Studies Conducted:
- Osteoarthritis: An uncontrolled multicentre drug surveillance study for about 12 weeks conducted on 75 patients with arthrosis of the hip or knee reported that the Devil’s claw extract had a clinically beneﬁcial effect with the patients reporting improved physical functioning and pain reduction. 1
- Backache: Results of an open , multicenter study highlighted that 90% of the patient group suffering from chronic non-radicular back pain and treated with 2 daily doses of the devil’s claw extract for a period of 8 weeks showed a significant improvement of pain symptoms and mobility of the affected sections of the spine in the course of treatment. 2
- Muscle pain: A randomised, double-blind, 4 week, placebo controlled study to investigate the effects of Devil’s Claw on sensory, motor and vascular mechanisms of muscle pain reported that the herb had a significant influence on sensory and vascular muscular response and successfully alleviated muscle stiffness in the patient group. 3
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Clinical evaluation to determine the antioxidant properties of Devil’s claw along with other herbs reported that the herb possessed potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and could prove a valuable alternative in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. 4
Since Biogetica aims to provide solutions that work holistically, it researches all possible ingredients and combines the best, so that they work synergistically for results that are beyond any single medical tradition. We have blended Devil’s claw with other powerful and efficient natural ingredients in our protocols dealing with immunity, joints , nerves, brain, digestion, skin, kidneys and reproductive organs so that you can witness the glory of Nature’s healing powers.
Browse through our Range of Natural Health Protocols that blend Devil’s claw with other potent, bioavailable and clinically renowned ingredients:
- Brain health Protocol
- Nerve Health Protocol
- Female Health Protocol
These are just some of our protocols that include Devil’s claw; to see the entire range, get more information, ask any health related concern or get personalized recommendations please consult with our doctors available round the clock at www.biogetica.com now!
Dr Vijay Kamat graduated from K.L.E. society’s Shri B. M. Kankanwadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum, India; one of the oldest Ayurvedic institutions in India. He is a prestigious member of the Ayurvedic Association of India. He possesses deep ancestral and research-based knowledge of plants, and is passionate about bringing age-old secrets of Ayurveda within the reach of a common man. In keeping with his passion, he is presently leading the medical team of Biogetica – a collective of Doctors dedicated to natural medicine. Together, they work to bring evidence-based natural healing solutions to the world.