What causes constipation?
Constipation is one the most commonly found conditions and there are chances that everyone experiences it at one point or another. A low fiber diet, drinking less water, ignoring the urge to defecate & lack of exercise are among the common causes. Making necessary dietary changes can help keep constipation at bay.
CONSTIPATION DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
DIET FOR CONSTIPATION
Constipation is a common condition where the feces are hardened and therefore emptying the bowels become difficult. It is important to get medical help if you face this condition often or for a prolonged duration. Constipation is an indication that the diet needs more fiber. An average adult requires about 25-30 grams of fiber each day, to have proper bowel movements. While planning a healthy diet, it is important to include adequate amounts of fiber to help you with more efficient bowel emptying.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for Constipation.
- Eat food rich in fibers as it helps cleanse the bowel naturally.
- Flaxseeds/powder/capsules offer nutrition and also offers a mild laxative effect if consumed with adequate water.
- Old Sali and shasthi (varieties of rice), barley, horsegram are good.
- Eat lots of green leafy vegetables, carrot, radish, beetroot, ridge guard, small cucumber, garlic pearls, ginger, buttermilk, butter, mustard oil and black salt.
- Also dry fruits like dried figs, dried grapes (raisins) are also excellent sources of digestive fiber.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Pulses, beans, barley, wheat, red variety of Sali rice, sour fruits, black pepper, goat’s milk
Foods to Avoid:
- Avoid meat, fish, chicken or flesh of animals.
- Sesame, fried food and other substances are heavy to digest.
- Avoid food that is incompatible to each other such as fruit salad, milk with fish etc.
- Always try to avoid junk food, fast food and outside food (because it contains lots of spices, oil, and chemicals such as sodium bicarbonate etc.)
- Two to three pieces of dried figs should be soaked in optimum amount of milk or water for 4 to 5 hours and chewed before supper.
- A handful of dry grapes (raisins should be soaked in water for 4 to 5 hours and then chewed slowly before supper.
- Fresh green vegetables like spinach etc also have very good dietary fiber and are excellent for those suffering from constipation. Spinach soup should be taken daily.
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.