Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, also known as Sunshine Vitamin because your body can produce it when exposed to sunlight and this is the reason it is actually considered a pro-hormone rather than an actual vitamin.
When sunlight strikes the skin, the UV-B rays convert the lipids on your skin into calciol (Vitamin D3). This precursor is then converted to calcidiol in the liver and subsequently into calcitriol (the active form of vitamin D) in the kidneys.
Why is Vitamin D Important to the Body?
Vitamin D regulates a number of bodily processes and can affect as many as 2000 genes in your body. It plays multiple roles such as:
- Optimizing the absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- Maintaining healthy bones and teeth
- Supporting growth and development
- Imparting tensile strength to the skeletal framework
- Improving the functions of your ligaments, joints and muscle tissues
- Strengthening your immune, brain and nervous system
- Regulating insulin levels for proper sugar balance
- Supporting lung function and cardiovascular health
- Modulating cellular growth and the expression of genes that influence cell proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis.
Thus, Vitamin D is an essential prerequisite for the healthy functioning of your body and you should make sure that you get adequate amounts of it daily. Since sun exposure isn’t always convenient and food sources are scarce, adding Vitamin D supplements to your health regimen is necessary so that you don’t suffer from the ill effects of vitamin D deficiency.
Now, it is common logic that vitamin D extracted from organic sources is going to be more bio available than those synthesized chemically and this is where our vitamin D fortified supplements are different from those available in the market.
Biogetica’s vitamin D products are 100% food based, natural, organic, encapsulated in vegetarian capsules and free from preservatives, which means they are live foods and spin photons of light. Synthetic vitamins are dead molecules that do not spin photons of light and many doctors believe that these synthetic molecules do not get assimilated into the body and ultimately break down into the chemicals they come from.
We have formulated a range of multidisciplinary, organic, easily assimilated and bioavailable products that comprise evidence based ayurvedic herbs and essential micronutrients to benefit you in numerous ways. Consult our doctors now to find out which is the one you need the most.
Food Sources of Vitamin D
Vitamin D is primarily synthesized with the help of sunlight. However, few foods also contain vitamin D and others are fortified. Foods that contain vitamin D naturally include: Salmon, Shrimps, Tuna, Mackerel, sardines and egg yolks. The fortified food sources are: milk, orange juice, yogurt, and cereals.
Recommended Daily Requirement of Vitamin D
The Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences reports new recommendations based on international units (IUs) per day. The recommended IUs for vitamin are:
- For children and teens: 600 IU
- For adults 20-50 years of age: 600 IU
- For elderly adults over age 70: 800 IU
- For pregnant and breastfeeding women: 600 IU
How Does Vitamin D Deficiency Occur and What Does it Lead to?
Vitamin D deficiency may occur when:
- Exposure to sunlight is limited
- Usual intake is lower than the recommended requirement
- Absorption of vitamin D from the digestive tract is inadequate
- Kidneys cannot convert the vitamin D precursor to its active form
- People having dark skin possess greater melanin pigment and this reduces the skin’s ability to produce vitamin D from sunlight
- People have Inflammatory bowel disease and other conditions causing fat malabsorption
Deficiency of Vitamin D may lead to diseases like rickets, depression, asthma, osteomalacia (soft bones), osteoporosis (brittle bones), hypertension, coronary heart diseases, aches and pains.
Biogetica protocols have been formulated to combine critical micronutrients such as vitamin D and other clinically researched ayurvedic ingredients and homeopathic attenuations so that you have a holistic regimen that works synergistically to bring your body back to balance.
Clinical Studies Done on Therapeutic Effects of Vitamin D
Various clinical studies have been conducted to evaluate the therapeutic properties of Vitamin D. Some of the studies conducted include:
- Role of Vitamin D in Inflammation and Immunology
Several studies have highlighted that Vitamin D seems to protect against infectious diseases like candida, tuberculosis, etc and autoimmune diseases such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and type 1diabetes.
- Vitamin D in Protecting Against Neurodegenerative Disorders
There is a copious amount of research both in vitro and in vivo that highlights the benefits of vitamin D in protecting and preserving neuronal cells, enhancing visual memory, and improving conditions in depression, alzheimer’s and parkinson’s disease. Limited evidence has also shown that normalizing vitamin D status could normalize sleep function to a degree.
- Vitamin D in Musculoskeletal Disorders
It is a well known fact that vitamin D helps in the growth, development, and maintenance of strong bones. Vitamin D supplementation has been tested in numerous conditions such as fractures, osteoporosis, etc and the nutrient has been implicated to strengthen bones and muscles in conditions affecting the musculoskeletal system.
- Vitamin D in Promoting a Healthy Heart
These are some highlights of the voluminous studies that have been done and are still being conducted on Vitamin D.
Since Biogetica aims to provide solutions that work holistically, it researches all possible ingredients and combines the best, so that they work synergistically to harmonize your body.
To make the most of this amazingly beneficial natural ingredient with numerous clinically tested therapeutic properties, we’ve combined this natural extract in several of our protocols that help support the functioning of bones, cardio vascular system, nervous system and immune system among others.
Some of our best selling products that comprise Vitamin D include:
- AV NATURVIT : 100% food based natural and organic multivitamin for total body health
- SpiruLiva: Potent nutritive and antioxidant with ingredients that have shown to cross the blood brain barrier to provide health at the cellular level
- Reginat: For Total Body Rejuvenation
- Arthrose: Advanced Joint Support
To view our entire range of Natural Health Protocols or consult our doctors on any health related concern, visit www.biogetica.com now.