Recently, menstrual irregularities, stress, difficulty in conception are very commonly seen in women. The doctor usually says it can be due to PCOS or PCOD. This affects approximately five million women in the US alone, can bring about the chaos of hormonal imbalance in women between the age of 18 to 45 years. This hormonal imbalance if ignored may lead to serious health issues including difficulty in conception. Thus, PCOS should be addressed as soon as it is detected.
What is PCOS?
Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a common ovarian dysfunction and endocrine disorder. It is characterized by multiple small cysts in the ovaries. As a result of hormonal imbalances, the follicles are unable to release the ovum which leads to the filling of immature follicles in the ovary called cysts. It is also called PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian disease).
PCOS is very commonly seen in females in the reproductive age group (The hormonal imbalance causes numerous symptoms and may also lead to difficulty in conception or getting pregnant.
Causes of PCOS
There is no specific cause for PCOS. Studies indicate that it has some hereditary connection, and it runs in the family. PCOS causes excessive secretion hormones such as androgens and estrogens, which leads to no ovulation. This in turn leads to enlargement of ovaries and excess hormone production. Thus, it is a vicious circle that keeps on continuing.
Apart from this, the hyperactive adrenal gland may also lead to overproduction of androgens and may contribute to PCOS.
Obesity or overweight can also provoke PCOS.
Signs and Symptoms of PCOS
PCOS may not cause any signs and symptoms in some women and thus, but their Ultrasound scan (USG) may show PCOS.
While others may show the below signs & symptoms:
- Irregularities in Menstruation: Some patients may experience less bleeding during menses while some may notice excessive bleeding due to excessive uterine lining caused by excessive estrogen production. There can even be irregular and infrequent menstruation or no menstruation.
- Hirsutism and Skin: Excess estrogen production may lead to increased hair growth called hirsutism. Skin symptoms include acne, dark patches on the skin, etc.
- Obesity: Almost 50% of women suffering from PCOS are obese and overweight. Obesity leads to excess production of estrogen and androgens which aggravates menstrual irregularities.
- Difficulty in conception: The follicles are unable to release mature ovum in PCOS. Thus, leading to infertility in about 20% of women.
- Insulin resistance: Around 40% of PCOS patients are insulin resistant which means their body cells react abnormally to insulin. So, if it is not addressed, they may have diabetes type 2 in the long run.
How is PCOS Diagnosed
Physicians may usually suggest an Ultrasound scan (USG) after clinical examination. USG may show enlarged ovaries with the presence of multiple cysts. USG may confirm the diagnosis. Along with USG blood tests are done to check the levels of certain hormones like Luteinising hormone (LH), and androgens. Even insulin and cholesterol tests are done. Diagnostic laparoscopy may also be advised in certain cases.
PCOS leads to hormonal imbalance which if left untreated may lead to serious health issues including difficulty in conceiving. Thus, PCOS should be addressed as soon as it is diagnosed.
Thankfully, there has been much advancement made in the field of natural health sciences such as Ayurveda, Homeopathy and Nutritional supplements that can give you a positive hope to lead a better life without any side effects in the management of PCOS.
Homeopathy is the best possible alternative to address PCOS
In a complementary system of health science, Homeopathy can offer one of the best possible management for PCOS as homeopathy focuses on treating the root cause of the problem. The line of action of homeopathic science does not limit the external causes of the disease.
Homeopathy considers the body, mind, and spirit as a whole. According to homeopathy, our body is capable to keep itself disease free naturally. However, when the immune system is deranged the body is unable to keep itself away from disease. Thus, homeopathy helps to regain the sick to health by balancing the vitality and improve the functioning of the corresponding organ. Once the vitality is restored and balanced, the body can bring itself back to health naturally and without any side-effects. This is why homeopathic supplements are recommended in minute doses.
Let us go through revolutionary studies on homeopathic formulations:
- Cimicifuga racemose: Cimicifuga racemose is also known as black cohosh. It is a member of the buttercup family. Research suggests that cimicifuga racemose may help to improve the functioning of female hormones naturally.1, 2
- Pulsatilla: Pulsatilla Nigricans is a very commonly used homeopathic formulation for numerous health issues. The study suggests homeopathic pulsatilla helps to improve the functioning of the female reproductive system. 3
- Gossypium herbaceum: Gossypium herbaceum is commonly called as Levant cotton. It is a perennial shrub of the mallow family which grows to 6′ in height. Study shows that gossypium herbaceum may help to address ovarian symptoms and improves menstruation. 4
- Caulophyllum: Caulophyllum is a perennial herb that belongs to the berberidaceae family. Caulophyllum is known to “tone up the uterus” and helps to in better uterine contractions. Research indicates that Caulophyllum is traditionally believed to regulate female hormones and menstrual functioning. 5
- Aurum muriaticum: Aurum muruaticum is known for its profound action upon the mind and body. It is considered to act upon almost all the spheres of the body. Study shows that Aurum muriaticum may help to balance the female endocrine axis and correct menstruation. 4
Homeopathic formulations along with improved lifestyle, proper exercise routine, and diet can help all aspects of this extremely common condition. Biogetica combines Homeopathy along with Ayurvedic herbs and Dietary supplements to address the condition as a whole and from its root cause so that effects can be long-lasting. Nearly all the Biogetica products have traditional use research analysis from Ayurveda and Homeopathy and are supported by modern studies and trials. If you are looking for a safe, natural, and effective management for PCOS, please contact one of the doctors at https://www.biogetica.com/is-pcos-treatment-a-cure#what-is-pcos/pcod?