Fast and Natural Toothache Relievers
A toothache can be anything from a dull ache to a sharp debilitating pain in and around the tooth suggesting inflammation or a possible infection. Toothaches can be caused by tooth decay, infected gums, cavities, exposed tooth root, gum diseases or the pain may be a symptom of another underlying ailment like ear infection, sinus pressure, temporo mandibular joint disorder, angina or heart attack. If you have an unbearable toothache it is always better to consult a dentist before it worsens. However, there are several natural remedies backed by ancient wisdom and traditional sciences, which have indicated that these alternative solutions can go a long way in relieving you of your painful dental misery.
We’ve listed some of the most popular natural ingredients used in this condition.
- Clove – This spice has been used to relieve toothaches since a very long time and is an accepted ancient traditional folk remedy. Research has now indicated that it possesses a chemical component- eugenol that has antibacterial, anti inflammatory and anaesthetic properties. It exerts a numbing effect on the pain and helps to reduce the pain instantly. Grind two cloves, mix it with olive oil and apply it on the affected tooth. You can also apply clove oil directly on the sore part. The oil may sting the sensitive gum tissue or tongue and you therefore need to be careful during application. A mixture of powdered ginger and red (cayenne) pepper can also be used an alternative to cloves. Apply a paste of the 2 spices on a cotton ball and place it on the affected area avoiding the other unaffected parts. The blend is likely to burn, so apply sparingly. The powders can be applied individually too, as both of them are effective pain killers.
- Pepper and salt – This combination works well when there is tooth sensitivity as they both possess antibacterial and analgesic properties. Mix pepper and salt with water to form a paste and apply it on the affected part and wait for few minutes. You may also use it as a gargle. Prepare a saline solution with tepid water .You may add a little pepper for good measure and swish the concoction in your mouth for 30 seconds. Salt is an effective cleanser and will help clean the infected area and remove the wedged debris.
- Garlic – This pungent tasting bulb has antibiotic properties and is known to inhibit bacterial growth. It is very useful in alleviating toothaches.. Mix crushed garlic or garlic powder with salt and apply over the affected area. Repeat this daily for a few days. If you prefer, you can also chew a couple of garlic cloves for effective pain relief.
- Asafoetida – This sharp smelling often revolting our olfactory lobes spice is actually very handy. It possesses anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and can be used to alleviate tooth pain. Mix a pinch of asafoetida powder into a few drops of lemon juice and then warm it slightly. Apply to the affected part with a cotton swab. This may result in instant relief.
- Onion – It has antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Chew raw onions for a few minutes to relieve the pain. If you cannot chew then place a piece of it directly on the bad tooth. It works by killing the germs causing the infection.
- Vanilla Extract- This is another popular home remedy that has a numbing and a soothing effect, which helps in relieving the agonising pain of an affected tooth.
- Guava Leaves- We often discard leaves of any fruit that we buy, however nature has packed a whole lot of healing properties in most parts of the plant. For e.g. Guava leaves are known to possess analgesic, anti- inflammatory and analgesic properties and can alleviate a toothache by either simply chewing the leaves, or by stewing it in a little water and using the brew as a gargle when lukewarm. You may even add a pinch of salt for more benefits.
- Wheatgrass juice- This juice is considered an elixir of sorts because of it being packed with nutrients that have immune boosting, detoxifying, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties among other health benefits. It has shown to combat tooth decay, inhibit bacterial infestation and relieve toothache. You may chew the grass directly to reap the benefits or have it in a liquid form.
These are some of the most widely used natural alternatives for tackling the excruciating pain of a vulnerable tooth. There are fragments of society that are sceptical of natural, holistic modalities and often frown upon such practices due to lack of scientific evidence. However, growing research on plant ingredients has indicated that Nature has miraculous powers to not only heal but also prevent diseased states.
Biogetica is a strong believer in natural protocols and works relentlessly to get Nature and its medicine the respect and recognition it deserves. We have unique multidisciplinary kits sourced from the choicest resources of nature and blended together to not only provide symptomatic relief but also address the root cause of the condition.
To know more about our products or to receive information on any health related concerns, speak or chat with our experienced panel of Doctors available round the clock for free consultations on www.biogetica.com now !
Dr Vijay Kamat graduated from K.L.E. society’s Shri B. M. Kankanwadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum, India; one of the oldest Ayurvedic institutions in India. He is a prestigious member of the Ayurvedic Association of India. He possesses deep ancestral and research-based knowledge of plants, and is passionate about bringing age-old secrets of Ayurveda within the reach of a common man. In keeping with his passion, he is presently leading the medical team of Biogetica – a collective of Doctors dedicated to natural medicine. Together, they work to bring evidence-based natural healing solutions to the world.