Diet for Alopecia
Recommended foods for Alopecia
- Healthy fats like olive oil, canola oil, walnuts, flax seed and hemp seed
- Herring, mackerel, trout, sardines, tuna and salmon as they are high in Omega-3 fatty acids
- Fresh fruits and vegetables especially leafy vegetables, berries and tomatoes, as they are high in antioxidants which combat inflammation and promote normal immune function
- Non animal sources of protein, like whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds
- Foods that is high in calcium, such as tofu, soy products, nuts, nut milks, soymilk and certain leafy greens
- Vitamin B rich foods, like nuts, carrots, chard, romaine lettuce and tomatoes
- Foods rich in copper, zinc and iron, as they are necessary for normal formation of red blood cells that supply oxygen to the hair shaft
- Foods rich in vitamin C such as lemon and amla (Indian gooseberry), as they are necessary for good scalp and hair follicle health
Restricted foods for Alopecia
- Foods that contain high amounts of toxins, in the form of chemicals, pesticides and herbicides
- It is also best to stay away from sweets, alcohol as well as junk, refined and processed food
- Animal fat, especially meat as it contains saturated fats and other acids that promote inflammatory response in the body
- Milk and dairy products as the milk protein casein has been known to irritate the immune system
- Sweets and other sugary foods
- Refined foods, like bakery items
- Fried, oily and greasy food
- Inflammatory foods such as nuts, seeds, beans and whole grains
Home remedies for Alopecia
- Peel an onion and cut it into chunks. Put them into a juicer so that the juice can be extracted. For best results, you need to drink the juice. However, if the taste is not edible, you can warm the juice a bit and directly apply it on your scalp, using a piece of cotton.
- Mix olive oil, cinnamon powder and honey, and apply this mixture on the scalp. Wash it off after 15 minutes with a mild shampoo.
- Make a paste of Fenugreek seeds with water. Oil your hair and apply this paste on the scalp. After an hour, wash it with mild shampoo.
- Aloe Vera gel can be applied on your scalp as it strengthens the hair follicles, roots and shafts.
- Mix a tsp. each of salt and black pepper powder with 5 tsp. of coconut oil and apply it to the bald patches for restoring the growth of hair.
- Application of neem oil regularly for two-three months at the bald spots helps the hair to grow again.
- Rub the bald spots with a piece of rough cloth and apply paste of split pigeon peas or lentils thrice a day. Apply mustard oil the following day and sit in the Sun. Again apply split pigeon peas or lentils paste after four hours
- Jasmine, Coconut and amla (Indian gooseberry) oils-all are beneficial for hairfall.
- Rosemary is a useful hair tonic and conditioner. Rosemary also aids to retain color especially in dark hair.
- Add two tablespoons of gram flour to a cup of coconut milk. Apply it on the scalp and massage softly. Wash your hair after five minutes. Practice this once a week.
- Henna can be used as a natural conditioner to bring back bounce and flair of your hair.
- A mixture of lettuce and spinach juice is believed to help the growth of hair if taken to the extent of half liter per day.
- Mustard oil, boiled with henna leaves, is useful for healthy growth of hair. About 250 ml of mustard oil should be boiled in a tin basin. About sixty grams of henna leaves should be gradually added in this oil until they are burnt in oil. Oil should then be filtered using a cloth and stored. Regular massage of the scalp with this oil will produce abundant hair.
- Massage coconut milk all over the scalp as it nourishes the hair and promotes hair growth. Coconut milk is prepared by grinding the coconut shavings and squeezing them well.
- Another effective remedy for alopecia is raw egg yolk. Massage raw egg yolk onto your scalp to help relieve symptoms of hair loss. Leave it on for at least an hour before washing your hair. If applied regularly for a fortnight, this can help to prevent hair fall.
- Soak some fenugreek seeds overnight and in the morning, use the liquid to massage your scalp. To help this solution seep into the skin of your scalp, wrap your head in a soft cotton cloth. If this solution is massaged repeatedly, it can help control the symptoms of alopecia.
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.