Itching and burning on our body cause discomfort, especially if they are in sensitive areas such as vagina or vulva. It can be caused due to bacterial or yeast infection or even due to sexually transmitted diseases such as Chlamydia, Genital Herpes, Gonorrhoea, and Genital Warts. Burning and itching in the vagina can also be caused due to chemical irritants present in soaps or detergents. It should be addressed properly, as it can lead to complications if ignored. Thus, addressing it early becomes very necessary. Click here for a free consultation with one of our doctors right now..!
It is a must for every girl to know how you can manage vaginal burning and itching. Here are a few ways to address it naturally:
- Maintain Hygiene:
- Avoid scented sanitary pads or toilet paper, vaginal sprays and creams as they can irritate the vagina and cause an imbalance of bacteria and yeast.
- Wash vaginal area with plain water or unscented soap. You may wash the vagina with plain water 3-4 times to keep it clean. However, do not wash with any soap for more than 1-2 times/ day as it may cause dryness.
- Wear clean cotton undergarments every day. Do not spend more time in wet clothes as it may provide a moist environment for yeast growth.
- Dry the genital area thoroughly after showering or bathing. Avoid douches.
- Avoid tight-fitting pants.
- Do not scratch as it may further irritate the area.
- Use a water-based lubricant during sexual intercourse. Wash the area thoroughly after intercourse.
- Probiotics are good:
Consuming a diet rich in probiotics not only improves the overall health but also is very good for vaginal health, as it can help to boost the immune system and fight off infection naturally. Yogurt is one of the important probiotics that can be taken on a daily basis. However, you may even opt for a probiotic supplement.
- Cool compression:
Cool compress can help to relieve burning and itching temporarily as it helps to calm down any inflammation and irritation. Put 3-4 ice cubes in a clean cotton cloth and apply it on the affected area for about 5-10 mins. Do this 2-3 times a day. You can also rinse the vaginal area with cold water 3-4 times a day to help relieve the burning.
- Vitamin C:
As we all are well aware that Vitamin C helps to boost our immune system which can help to bring back its balance. Try to consume foods that are rich in Vitamin C such as yellow and red bell peppers, kale, kiwi, broccoli, berries, oranges, peas, and papaya for boosting your immune system. Click here to contact one of our doctors for diet recommendations.
- Coconut oil:
Coconut oil contains a combination of lauric acid and caprylic acid which is known to tackle infection naturally. Coconut oil can be both ingested as well as externally applied on the affected parts.1
- Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar may help to balance vaginal pH, which can help to relieve vaginal burning. It is advised to rinse the area with a mixture of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water twice a day.
- Tea tree oil:
Tea tree oil is believed to help maintain a healthy balance of flora in the vagina and thus address the infection. It is to be used externally and not orally. Tea tree oil is strong and therefore should be diluted with other oils such as coconut oil, before applying.2
- Oregano oil
The essential oil of oregano is known to inhibit the growth of fungus and thus help in addressing the infection and itchy vagina.
Note: Essential oils should not be taken orally. Put 2-3 drops of oregano oil in one ounce of carrier oil, inhale it through the diffuser. Do not apply this essential oil near your vagina.3
- Complementary methods for addressing vaginal infection:
Complementary methods include natural products, herbs, mind and body practices, and other approaches. It may be wrong to consider alternative methods that are uncommon for addressing these vaginal issues.
Some of the herbs and supplements that might help are:
- Cat’s claw: A study showed that Cat’s claw may help in boosting the immunity and inhibiting the infection.4
- Olive leaf extract: Olive leaf extract contains Oleuropein which helps to prevent virus entry into the cells, thus reducing the viral load.5
- Echinacea: Research shows that Echinacea may help to enhance immunity and increase the WBC count to counter infections.
- Astragalus root: Astragalus is believed to boost the immune system and protect the body against foreign invaders.
- Calendula: Study suggests that Calendula possesses natural anti-inflammatory and skin-benefiting properties.6
- Licorice root: Research suggests that Licorice root possesses natural anti-microbial properties.7
Biogetica has numerous products containing these herbs as one of its ingredients. You can get more information on our entire range of products and consult with our doctors for free at www.biogetica.com. Here are a few products that can help you to soothe vaginal itching and burning:
Cronisol – D