Diet for Gallstones
There is no specific diet for gallstones. However, research suggests, there are certain low fat foods that can help relieve the symptoms. If you are overweight, reducing weight in a proper way can prove beneficial.
GALLSTONE DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
Can Food Influence Gallstones Formation?
The primary function of the gallbladder is storing bile released from the liver. Gallstones develop as a result of improper functioning of the gallbladder. There are no foods that can prevent gallstones. However, certain dietary changes can help alleviating symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and vomiting. It should be noted that obese people are more prone to developing gallstones. So, if you are overweight, gradually reducing weight can benefit. Low fat foods can also help to a certain extent. A safe weight loss of 1-2 lbs (0.5 to 1 kg) per week is recommended.
- Vegetarian food is recommended. It should contain green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, lettuce, coriander, curry leaves.
- Other vegetable like beets, carrot, radish, broccoli, brussels
- Spices like turmeric, garlic, cloves, cinnamon are excellent
- Fruits- grapefruit, sugarcane juice, strawberries, Lemon, oranges, apples, avocados, and walnuts
- Include whole grain varieties of starchy carbohydrates like bread, rice, cereals, pasta, potatoes, chapattis and plantain
- High fiber foods like beans and pulses should be included
- Drink plenty of fluid – at least two litres daily, such as water or herbal teas.
- Have small frequent meals
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Limit the use of oil, ghee, butter, dairy and fruits like custard apple, and sapota (Chikoo)
Foods to Avoid:
- Alcohol in any form should be completely avoided
- Non-vegetarian food should be avoided this includes sea food, lean meat, eggs.
Completely avoid frozen, preserved, or canned foods including chips, soups, meats or vegetables, they are known to have high salt or sugar which may lead to fluid retention.
- Avoid sugary foods such as chocolates, ice-cream, candies and cake