According to ayurvedic principles colitis (adoga raktapitta or Raktatisara) is caused due to excess or aggravated PITTA (body fire).
Ulcerative colitis being a pitta predominant disease, therefore, care should be taken to calm the pitta by diet and lifestyle modification.
- Proper diet is very important in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. In most cases freshly prepared buttermilk, fruits/fruit juice (Citrus juice should be avoided) and vegetables (rich in vitamin C) and decreased consumption of spices, fat, sugar and sour substances will heal ulcerative colitis.
- Fruits such as apple, ripe banana are beneficial. Eat more yellow fruits, cantaloupe, pears, watermelon, kelp, agar and cucumbers.
- Wheat grass juice, Coriander juice, Green leaf juice, papaya juice, raw cabbage juice, and carrot juice are especially beneficial as they are known to heal the bowel lining.
- Regular use of tender coconut water, coconut milk & barley water is recommended.
- Eat soups, especially vegetable broths. Eat fruits at the end of a meal.
- Rice mixed with buttermilk or a gruel prepared with ripe banana is extremely beneficial in soothing the inner lining of the intestines.
- Drink 2-3 glasses of buttermilk mixed with cumin seed (jeera).
- Take Emblica fruits as it is known for immune-enhancement.
- Brisk walk, swimming, 20-30 minutes regular exercise is advised.
- Sleep for at least 7-8 hours at night.
- Avoid hot, spicy, sour, fat, sugar and non-vegetarian diet.
- Avoid over eating, do not eat when you are not hungry.
- Avoid raw vegetables/solid food, wheat and avoid drinking water and juices while eating.
- Avoid alcohol, smoking, tobacco, coffee and caffeinated beverages.
- Avoid fried, preserved, frozen and canned food.
- Avoid cheese, curd and milk.
- Decrease your stress & anxiety by doing meditation, pranayama (breathing exercises) and yoga.
- Day sleeping should be avoided.
- Avoid combining food as it is considered Incompatible; Meat, fish, chicken, pork, prawns, mushrooms, sour fruits, curd, buttermilk, sprouts fruits should not be combined or mixed with milk & honey.