Diet for Cirrhosis of liver
What is Cirrhosis of Liver?
Patients with liver cirrhosis need to make necessary changes in their diet to support the liver. Glycogen storage & release is hampered in cirrhosis, which can lead to malnutrition. So preventing malnutrition is extremely essential for patients suffering from this condition.
CIRRHOSIS OF LIVER DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
Diet for Liver Cirrhosis
Cirrhosis refers to a condition where damaged liver cells are replaced by scar tissue. Development of too many scar tissues lead to impaired liver functioning that affects the ability to store & release Glycogen (a substance which provides energy when required by the body). In cirrhosis, the body uses its own muscle tissues to provide energy. This leads to malnutrition, weakness & muscle wasting. Thus in cirrhosis, it is important to prevent malnutrition & limit additional liver damage.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for Cirrhosis of Liver.
- Vegetarian food is recommended. It should contain green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, lettuce, coriander, curry leaves.
- Other vegetable like Beets, carrot, radish, broccoli, Brussels
- Spices like turmeric, garlic, cloves, cinnamon are excellent
- Fruits- Grapefruit, Sugarcane juice, strawberries, Lemon, oranges, apples, Avocados, Walnuts.
- Eat after every two to three hours.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Limit the use of oil, ghee, butter, dairy and fruits like custard apple,and chickoo
Foods to Avoid:
- Alcohol in any form should be completely avoided in Cirrhotic liver.
- Non-vegetarian food should be avoided; this includes sea food, lean meat, eggs.
- Completely avoid frozen, preserved, canned foods, including chips, soups, meats or vegetables, there are known to have high salt or sugar, which may lead to fluid retention.
- Avoid sugary foods such as chocolates, ice-cream, candies and cake
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.