Diet for ADD/ADHD
DIET FOR ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER [ADD/ADHD]
There is no clear evidence to prove whether diet has any direct influence on ADD. However studies suggest that certain foods may help alleviate the condition. It is observed that cutting down on carbohydrates may help reduce symptoms like restlessness, hyperactivity and anxiety. Including foods that help your brain function better like protein rich foods & omega 3 fatty acids could prove beneficial in this condition. Thus making small & smart food changes can help you reduce the symptoms and increase your chances of having a healthy, well-balanced and an enriching life.
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder [ADD/ADHD] Diet
- A diet rich in fruits and vegetables is very important for ADHD patients. Consume cooked organic vegetables, whole grains, fresh fruits (such as apples, grapefruit, strawberries, peach, pears, and pomegranate), cow’s milk, and unprocessed/unrefined food.
- Nuts such as almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds are very beneficial.
- Add chicken or lean beef to every meal
- Fish oil, Flax seeds and nuts rich in omega-3 fatty acids are found to be very good for ADHD. They help in proper brain development.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
- Garlic, chilies, candy, corn syrup, honey, products made from white flour (noodles/pasta, white rice), potatoes, prawn, and red meat.
Foods to Avoid:
- Avoid sugar, refined foods, canned food and foods with chemical additives (Color/dyes, preservatives, MSG) including artificial sweeteners
- Hot and sour foods such as ketchup/sauce, mustard, pickle and fermented foods also must be avoided.
- Soak almonds and dates together overnight in a cup of water, peel off the almond skin and boil in milk along with vetiver (khus), cardamom and saffron for 5 minutes. Blend until completely smooth. Let it cool off and serve for improved memory and concentration.
- Take sesame seeds powder and amla powder in equal quantity. Mix them with a little ghee and honey & take it every morning for a month to improve your memory and concentration.
Dr Vijay Kamat graduated from K.L.E. society’s Shri B. M. Kankanwadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum, India; one of the oldest Ayurvedic institutions in India. He is a prestigious member of the Ayurvedic Association of India. He possesses deep ancestral and research-based knowledge of plants, and is passionate about bringing age-old secrets of Ayurveda within the reach of a common man. In keeping with his passion, he is presently leading the medical team of Biogetica – a collective of Doctors dedicated to natural medicine. Together, they work to bring evidence-based natural healing solutions to the world.