There is no specific diet for fibromyalgia. However, research suggests that there are certain foods that all fibromyalgia patients should avoid or add to their diets. Some foods with additives, caffeine and sugar should be avoided and foods rich in Omega 3-fatty acids, Vitamin A, C, and E can be helpful. The whole idea is to maintain a healthy weight and make healthy food choices to keep the symptoms of fibromyalgia at bay.
FIBROMYALGIA DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
WHAT IS FIBROMYALGIA?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic syndrome characterized by muscle, bone or joint pain and fatigue. Women are known to be more vulnerable to fibromyalgia than men, and the incidence increases with age. Fibromyalgia can make you feel tired and worn out. Eating certain foods can give you more energy. Studies suggest that vegetarian foods prove to be more beneficial in fibromyalgia and might offer some symptom relief. Thus, following a regimen by avoiding certain foods high in additives, caffeine and sugar and including foods that help to maintain a healthy weight and provide you with essential nutrients are necessary.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for fibromyalgia that can help.
- Omega 3-fatty acids found in fatty fish, like salmon, walnuts, and flaxseed, are known to reduce inflammation and help prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- Foods that include antioxidants like vitamins A, C, and E such as sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes, lettuce, dried apricots, cantaloupe, bell peppers, fish, bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwifruit, berries, citrus fruits, tomatoes, peas, papayas should be included in the diet.
- Also nuts such as almonds, peanuts and hazelnuts, and vegetable oils such as sunflower, wheat germ, safflower, corn and soybean oils are beneficial
- Eat foods such as broccoli, beans, tofu, oatmeal, and whole-grain bread.
Foods to Moderate:
Limit the intake of Non-vegetarian food
Foods to Avoid:
- Additives- Food additives including MSG (monosodium glutamate) and nitrates.
- Sugar, fructose, and simple carbohydrates in the form of sugar, cake, or white bread
- Yeast and gluten in the form of cake, donuts, and bread
- Avoid Dairy including milk
- Nightshade Plants like Tomatoes, chili and bell peppers, potatoes, and eggplant.