Health Benefits of Cranberries – Uses of Vaccinium Macrocarpon
Who would’ve thought that these innocuous looking, sour tasting berries would have more antioxidant capacity in comparison to diet-food mighties like broccoli, apples and spinach? Cranberries have actually earned the superfood title because of their dense nutrient profile, broad-spectrum health benefits and negligible calories. (Would you believe, half a cup of cranberries contains only 25 calories!)
Although, native to North America, there are several species and are botanically called Vaccinium oxycoccos, Vaccinium macrocarpon, and Vaccinium microcarpum.
It also finds use in traditional medicine and its Ayurvedic name is “Karamarda”.
Phytochemical Significance of Cranberry
Cranberry packs in quite a punch of bioactive constituents in its unassuming size. It is rich in plant chemicals like anthocyanin flavonoids, sianidin, peonidin, quercitin, tannins and phenolic acids like salicylic acid and Vitamin C.
It is also an abounding source of carbohydrates, proteins, minerals like calcium, phosphorus, iron, sodium, magnesium, potassium, zinc and vitamins like niacin, riboflavin, Vitamin B6, E and K.
Traditional benefits of Cranberry
Apart from the fact that cranberries have been widely employed in beverages, baking products, salads, etc, they have also been popularly used to make dyes for clothing and blankets. Traditional forms of medicines have also recommended cranberry for its multifarious health benefits.
Cranberry health benefits potentially include:
- Maintaining a healthy excretory system
- Protecting the intestinal mucosal lining and maintaining a healthy digestive tract
- Detoxifying and flushing toxins from the body
- Regulating and boosting the immune system
- Improving circulation and cardiac functions
- Protecting and maintaining oral health
Clinical Researchers are Also Witnessing the Possible Therapeutic Effects of Cranberry
Various clinical studies have been conducted to identify the therapeutic proficiency of Cranberry and growing research has opened the possibility of using cranberry in managing several medical conditions affecting the urinary tract, respiratory organs, kidneys, and heart. Researchers have also highlighted its benefits in preventing stomach disorders, diabetes and cancer, as well as gum diseases caused by dental plaque.
Some of the studies conducted include:
- Urinary Tract Infections: Studies suggest that regular intake of cranberry juice may protect the urinary tract and reduce recurrent infections. [1, 2]
- Kidney Stones: Studies also suggest that cranberry juice may prevent the formation of renal calculi, which will help improve kidney functioning and reduce kidney related complaints. 
- Stomach disorders: A randomized double blind clinical trial suggested that regular consumption of cranberry juice could suppress H. Pylori infections that are normally the cause of stomach disorders. 
- Cancer: In vitro and In vivo studies have highlighted cranberry’s benefits in inhibiting growth and proliferation of tumor cells. 
- Cardiovascular Health: Clinical evidence suggests that cranberry possesses anti-inflammmatory properties that may assist in reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease by increasing the resistance of LDL to oxidation, inhibiting platelet aggregation, and reducing blood pressure. 
Since Biogetica aims to provide solutions that work holistically, it researches all possible ingredients and combines the best, so that they work synergistically for results that are beyond any single medical tradition. We have included cranberry in several of our formulations with other powerful and efficient natural ingredients so that you can witness the glory of Nature’s healing powers.
To know more about cranberry, purchase our cranberry inclusive products, get any health related concern addressed or get personalized recommendations please consult with our doctors available round the clock at www.biogetica.com now!
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.