Diet for Emphysema?
Along with proper medication, consuming a nutritious and balanced diet is important for managing Emphysema and keeping your immune system working at its best. Include Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin E; and avoid cold foods and drinks to help relieving the symptoms.
EMPHYSEMA DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS FOR EMPHYSEMA
It is important to control weight if you are suffering from Emphysema or COPD, as an overweight person tends to get more shortness of breath because of carrying excess weight. However, it is equally important to maintain a healthy weight for proper prognosis of COPD than being underweight. Eating enough high-fiber foods, quality protein, and even higher-fat choices and foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin E can help in speedy recovery.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for Emphysema.
- Emphysema sufferers should follow a diet appropriate for general good health and immunity, including consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean meats and fish, wholegrain breads and cereals, and oils low in omega-6 fatty acids such as olive oil or canola oil, avocados, and fatty coldwater fish like salmon.
- Vitamin C and E plays a specific role in getting rid of Emphysema.
- Include protein rich foods like meat, fish, eggs, poultry, legumes, dairy products, cereal, cheese and nuts.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Milk or Dairy products and oily food should be moderated.
Foods to Avoid:
Avoid cold foods and drinks. Frozen, canned and preserved food with artificial color and additives should be completely avoided as there are certain substances in it that can worsen Emphysema.
- Freshly expressed garlic juice 10 to 15 drops with honey and warm water should be taken internally in emphysema.
• Mix, onion juice ¼ cup, honey 1 tablespoon and black pepper 1/8 tablespoon.
• Mix licorice and ginger together. Take ½ tablespoon in 1 cup of water for relief from emphysema.
• Drink a glass of 2/3 carrot juice, 1/3 spinach juice, 3 times a day.
• Add 30-40 leaves of Basil in a liter of water strain the leaves and drink the water throughout the day. A loose poultice of linseed seeds may be applied in chest troubles, emphysema, bronchopneumonia and pleurisy, the counter-irritant effect of the poultice can be enhanced by dusting mustard powder over it.
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.