Diet for Mouth Ulcers
Diet Recommendations for Mouth Ulcers
Research suggests that following a particular diet will help prevent and heal mouth ulcers. Including Folic acid, iron, Vitamin B and C, and excluding spicy and fried food can help keep symptoms at bay.
MOUTH ULCERS DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
What are Mouth Ulcers?
Mouth ulcers also known as Aphthous ulcers are lesions caused in the mucous membrane of the mouth and lips. They can be a result of various reasons like trauma, infection, drugs, deficiencies or any medical condition. The condition is not very serious in most of the cases and can be controlled by following a proper diet that helps in healing of the ulcers.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for Mouth Ulcers that can help.
- Include folic acid rich foods like green leafy vegetables such as spinach, lettuce, asparagus, turnip greens, collard greens and green peas. Fruits like papaya, beans, banana, grapefruit, pineapple and apple
- Include yoghurt
- Include Vitamin B rich foods such as fish eggs, oysters, meat, eggs, rice milk and soy milk
- Include iron rich foods like chicken liver, spinach, oysters, cereals, turkey, potato, pumpkin, wheat gram, broccoli and eggs
- Coconut water
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
- Vegetables and fruits that should be taken in moderation include mangoes, apricots, oranges, nectarines, pears, peaches, plums, tomatoes and berries.
Foods to Avoid:
- Sauces, juices and preserves
- Curries or pretzels, vinegar, pickled foods, seeds and nuts
- Highly acidic fruits like lime and pomegranates
- Foods that irritate your mouth, including spicy foods
- Tea prepared from fresh mango leafs is beneficial in healing mouth sores
- Sipping cold milk, iced tea and ice water may give temporary relief.
Dr Vijay Kamat graduated from K.L.E. society’s Shri B. M. Kankanwadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum, India; one of the oldest Ayurvedic institutions in India. He is a prestigious member of the Ayurvedic Association of India. He possesses deep ancestral and research-based knowledge of plants, and is passionate about bringing age-old secrets of Ayurveda within the reach of a common man. In keeping with his passion, he is presently leading the medical team of Biogetica – a collective of Doctors dedicated to natural medicine. Together, they work to bring evidence-based natural healing solutions to the world.