Health benefits of the herb- Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice)
Glycyrrhiza glabra is a very commonly used herb in various natural medicinal practices. In ancient Chinese medicine the plant was used for its rejuvenating properties.
In fact with growing awareness, a lot of allopathic doctors advise powdered licorice for its soothing, emollient and laxative properties. Traditionally it is also combined with other herbs to improve immunity, respiratory health, metabolic and female reproductive functions. It is also known to possess natural anti-inflammatory properties that may prove beneficial in addressing pain and strengthening the nerves.
Some More Information About Glycyrrhiza glabra
The root of glycyrrhiza glabra is Liquorice or licorice. The plant is a herbaceous perennial legume, growing to 1 m in height. Its flowers are purple to pale whitish blue and fruits are oblong shaped.
It is also known by other names such as Yashti-madhu, Yashti-madhuka, Mulethi or Jethi-madh.
Liqorice Nutritional Significance
The main constituent is glycyrrhizin, which provides a distinct sweet taste. The other constituents present in Licorice are glucose, sucrose, starch, asparagine, mannite, and resins, which collectively provide Licorice its pharmacological properties. A lot of edibles such as candies, tobacco, snuff, beer, chocolate, and soft drinks are flavoured with licorice. However, the flavor often associated with licorice is actually anise (Pimpinella anisum).
Glycyrrhiza glabra Health Benefits Potentially Include:
- Soothing and strengthening the respiratory system
- Increasing the secretion of bile, thus helping in the metabolism of fat
- Improving the functioning of the stomach, liver and intestines
- Phytoestrogens in Licorice are known to have a mild estrogenic effect, which may help support the functions of the female reproductive system
- Boosting the immune system
- Detoxifying the body
- Combating stress and anxiety
- Improving mobility and condition of the joints
Glycyrrhiza has an impressive list of well-documented uses and in recent times, scientific research too has been witnessing the multifarious health benefits of this herb. In fact, it is now routinely used in several natural remedies for its versatile benefits.
Biogetica has been a forerunner of natural medicine for over 15 years, and has extensively researched several natural ingredients. We also have numerous published patents in this field. We work relentlessly to combine the most synergistic combinations in our protocols so that root issues are targeted across the physical, energetic and informational spectrum of your life and we’re able to provide health and freedom to our patient community.
Licorice is a core ingredient in several of our groundbreaking, precedent setting, and holistic, multi-disciplinary kits. Our protocols for Immunity, Respiratory Health, Skin, Liver, and Male and Female Health contain Licorice along with other natural indigenous ingredients that potentiate the functions they are intended for. Our kits combine three separate and unique disciplines: traditional ayurvedic herbs, advanced resonance homeopathy and ground breaking nutraceuticals so that they work synergistically to bring the body back to balance.
Scientific Studies Conducted to Determine the Possible Therapeutic Effects of Glycyrrhiza glabra
Various clinical studies have been conducted to identify the therapeutic proficiency of glycyrrhiza glabra and growing research has opened the possibility of using licorice in supporting the brain, liver, immune, respiratory and skeletal system. Researchers have also studied its role in herpes, dermatitis, eczema, shingles, arthritis, athlete’s foot, bronchitis, emphysema, stomach ulcers, hepatitis, and physical and emotional stress.
Some of the Studies Conducted Include:
- Antioxidant Property: Anti-oxidants inhibit oxidation and the proliferation of free radicals formed as a result of the oxidative processes. Studies conducted to evaluate the tissue protective activity indicated that glycyrrhiza glabra contains isoflavans that help as anti-oxidants and protect mitochondrial functions. 1, 2
- Atherosclerosis: Atherosclerosis is the thickening of the walls of the arteries due to accumulation of WBCs and proliferation of fibro-fatty plaque. An in vitro study suggested that glycyrrhiza glabra contains anti-oxidants and anti-atherogenic properties that protect against the human lipoprotein oxidative system. 3
- High Cholesterol: Cholesterol (lipid) is a fatty substance that naturally occurs in all parts of the body. High cholesterol is abnormally elevated levels of any or all lipids in the blood. An in vitro study indicated that glycyrrhiza glabra increased bile flow and accelerated cholesterol, neutral sterol and bile acid elimination through fecal matter. The herb also improved the activities of the antioxidant enzymes. 4
- Herpes: Licorice has been extensively tested against several viral infections including HSV, Flavivirus, Human immunodeficiency virus, Vaccinia virus, Poliovirus (type 1), Vesicular stomatitis virus, IAV, and SARS-related Coronavirus. In an In vitro analysis, the licorice extract displayed antiherpetic activity by either directly inactivating the virus or hampering the adhesion of HSV-1 to the cells. 5
- Hepatitis: This is an inflammatory liver disease caused by viruses that potentially lead to many complications such as cirrhosis, cancer and even liver failure. In vitro evaluation of the extract reported that the herb contains several active compounds that could be good candidates to develop antivirals against Hepatitis. 6
- Inflammation: Inflammation is a condition in which part of the body becomes reddened, swollen, hot, and often painful, especially as a reaction to injury or infection. A study indicated that licorice possesses several active compounds, which are known for its antioxidant, anti-genotoxic and anti-inflammatory activities. 7
- Learning and memory: Memory is the faculty of the brain by which information is encoded, stored, and retrieved. An in vitro study suggested that glycyrrhiza glabra may possess memory enhancement properties. 8
- Eczema and Psoriasis: It is a group of diseases that result in inflammation of the skin, itching, redness and rash. Comparative studies indicated that glycyrrhiza glabra was better than corticosteroids in treating chronic conditions such as contact dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis and other conditions characterized by inflammation and pruritus. 9
These are just some of the many other extensive studies that have highlighted licorice’s medicinal properties.
Biogetica believes in holistic healing and harnessing the miraculous powers of nature. To make the most of this awesome, versatile plant with numerous clinically verified therapeutic properties, we’ve combined this natural extract in several of our protocols that help support the nerves, inflammatory conditions and female reproductive organs.
Browse through our Range of Natural Health Protocols that blend glycyrrhiza glabra(licorice) with other potent, bioavailable and clinically renowned ingredients:
- Nerve Health protocol
- Female Health Protocols
- Inflammation Protocol
- Immune Boost Protocol
- Respiratory Health Protocol
To view our entire range of Health protocols, get more information, ask any health related concern or get personalized recommendations please consult with our Doctors at www.biogetica.com without further delay.
Dr Vijay Kamat graduated from K.L.E. society’s Shri B. M. Kankanwadi Ayurved Mahavidyalaya, Belgaum, India; one of the oldest Ayurvedic institutions in India. He is a prestigious member of the Ayurvedic Association of India. He possesses deep ancestral and research-based knowledge of plants, and is passionate about bringing age-old secrets of Ayurveda within the reach of a common man. In keeping with his passion, he is presently leading the medical team of Biogetica – a collective of Doctors dedicated to natural medicine. Together, they work to bring evidence-based natural healing solutions to the world.