7 Health Benefits of Momordica charantia (Bitter Melon): An Anti-Diabetic Super Food
Momordica charantia (Bitter Gourd) is commonly used in most of the households in day-to-day eating habits. However, we hardly know its complete benefits, isn’t it? Its fruit and leaves are added to beans or soups for producing a bitter or sour flavor. It also has medicinal benefits such as helping in digestion of sugar, healing skin problems, improving liver health, healing wounds by applying it externally, etc.
Other names are Bitter Melon, Bitter Squash, Balsam-Pear, Balsam Apple, Karela, Caraili, Cerasee, Papailla, Ampalaya, and Pare.
This tropical herbaceous vine grows up to 16 feet in height and each node on the vine has a lobed leaf and a tendril. The fruit is oblong with a rough external surface. The fruit is green when young and contains white seeds, which after maturity, turns to orange-yellow with red seeds. The fruit is mostly eaten green, or as it is when it just begins to turn yellow. It has male and female flowers that are yellow in color.
Momordica charantia (Bitter gourd) is rich in magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, dietary fibres, folate, zinc, manganese, Vitamin A, C, E, B1, B2, B3 and B9.
Health Benefits of Momordica charantia:
- Helps to regulate sugar levels
- Helps to boost the immune system to fight bacteria and microbes
- Aids proper digestion
- Helps to reduce inflammation and pain
- Reduces fats and increases metabolism
- Improves skin health and can be applied over wounds
- Improves liver health
A number of studies have been conducted to identify the therapeutic proficiency of Momordica charantia over the years in managing several medical conditions such as diabetes, skin troubles, inflammation, reducing fats.
- The study results clearly provided experimental evidence that dried bitter gourd powder in the diet at 10% level improved diabetic status. 1
- One of the studies suggests that administration of Momordica charantia extract improves and accelerates the process of wound healing.2
- Research suggests immunomodulatory activity of Momordica charantia L. (bitter gourd). Therefore, it induces both intestinal and also systemic anti-inflammatory responses.3
- Another study reveals for the first time that Bitter melon reduces adiposity and has multiple influences on glucose and lipid metabolism that strongly counteracts the untoward effects of a high-fat diet.4
We, at Biogetica, aim to provide solutions that work holistically. We research all possible ingredients and combine the best so that they work synergistically to help bring the body back to balance.
To make the most of this amazingly beneficial ingredient with numerous clinically verified therapeutic properties, we’ve included this natural extract in several of our protocols that help support the functioning of various systems of your body. Some of them include:
1. AV DIASOL
2. Endocrine Support Kit
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.