Upper Respiratory Tract Infections [URTI] Diet Recommendations
Diet for Upper Respiratory Tract Infections (URTI)?
Along with proper medication, consuming a nutritious and a balanced diet is important for managing URTI and keeping your immune system working at its best. Include Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin E; and avoid cold foods and drinks to help relieving the symptoms.
UPPER RESPIRATORY TRACT INFECTIONS [URTI] DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
DIET RECOMMENDATIONS FOR URTI
Along with restricting the intake of cold foods and drinks, it is equally important to maintain a healthy weight for proper prognosis of URTI than being underweight. Eating enough quality protein, and even higher-fat choices and foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin E facilitate speedy recovery by improving the immune system.
We are providing the necessary food recommendations for URTI.
- People with recurrent respiratory infections should follow a diet appropriate for general good health, including consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats and fish, wholegrain breads and cereals, and oils low in omega-6 fatty acids such as olive oil or canola oil.
- Vitamin C and E plays a specific role in getting rid of chronic allergies and infections of the respiratory tract.
- Always include spices like cinnamon, cardamom, clove, nutmeg and foods such as carrot, radish, tomato, spinach, apricot, garlic, onion, ginger etc. Moreover, consume low fat dairy products, soy products, sprouts and a variety of other vegetables high in protein.
Foods for Moderate Consumption:
Milk or Dairy products, oily food, should be moderated
Foods to Avoid:
- Avoid cold foods and drinks.
- Frozen, canned and preserved food with artificial color and additives should be completely avoided as there are certain substances present in it that can worsen respiratory infections.
- Avoid refined carbohydrates and flesh foods as well, at least until you get rid of the infection.
- The use of ginger, lemon, and honey regularly during these episodes will help relieve the condition faster and cut short its progress.
- Onion and garlic are also known to possess beneficial properties and should therefore be included in the diet.
- A stuffy feeling in the nose can be reduced by steam inhalation with a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Another alternative is to place a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a clean cloth and sniff it.
- Chewing holy basil leaves will bring back the lost appetite and regularize the altered taste that is very commonly affected during an infection.